Did our hearts not burn within us?

Did our hearts not burn within us?

Friday, October 31, 2008

Time Sensitive: Christless Christianity update

Hello friends,
Today is an important live webchat and the introduction of a book that is very timely. I have visited the Christian Bible Colleges and sat in on some classes. I have also visited the churches these colleges have planted. Either recently or in the past. Much of the preaching has departed from the Gospel and Christ Centered preaching for something that has been deemed "moralistic, therapeutic, deism. It is time to call all denominations, all congregations, all pastors, all Sunday school teachers, all bible study leaders, back to what Paul passed along to Timothy.



Paul's Charge to Timothy
2 Timothy 3:10-17
10You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 4:1-3 (NIV)

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.



What kind of preaching did Paul do?

1 Corinthians 2:1-4

1When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.[a] 2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power.

A little bit about Paul's conversion and his being compelled to only preach what was given to him by God. This is what he was passing on to Timothy and to charge to Timothy to continue preaching the word even when everyone else is following what they think is the right way to go and they see such a "positive response" from the people. But, it isn't the Gospel, and it isn't Christ Centered. It is Christless Christianity.

This causes me to have a heavy heart at times, but I know that we are blessed that there are brothers in Christ out there that are contending for the faith. The same charge that was given to Timothy is what has been handed down throughout church history. And we are blessed to be a part of passing it on.

I will be watching this webcast today. I have posted a question to Mike Horton and I hope to see him answer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Grace and Peace,

Chris
www.Reform-Shire.blogspot.com
Coram Deo!!!

Dear Listeners and Supporters of the White Horse Inn,

I'm writing you today because I want to give you the latest information regarding the launch of my new book Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church. It's hard to believe October is already almost over, and the 50% off promotion will end this Friday, October 31st. For those of you who have already purchased this book and have told your friends and family, thank you so much.

I hope you will be as excited as I am to learn that the books are already shipping, and according to Amazon's statistics this has been my best book launch yet! If you've been thinking about getting this book, then don't miss your chance to order it direct from Amazon at a good low price, or through our preferred partner for only $9.99! I'm hoping you'll agree; there has never been a better time to act. With your generous support of this book we can expose the problem of "Christless Christianity" and give this subject matter main stream attention.

Now, as I wrote to you earlier this month the grand finale will be a live web chat with me on October 31st at 1:00 P.M. EASTERN hosted by The Washington Post. I thought that you would be interested to know that The Washington Post informed us that they have never received this many questions in advance, and they were "impressed!" One thing's for sure: based on the questions we have received thus far the web chat should prove to be interesting. I hope you will want to be a part of this. You can help make our first web event a success. Please take a moment now and post a question. If you would like, you can read the first chapter of the book here.

How many times have you said to yourself "What else can I do to help?" Well, here's how!


This is all possible because of you - THANK YOU! Please continue to partner with White Horse Inn as we remain steadfast in our mission to inform and persuade Christians to embrace Reformation theology, effectively helping Christians to "know what they believe and why they believe it." Thank you for caring so very much.

In Christ,
Michael Horton


No comments: