Did our hearts not burn within us?

Did our hearts not burn within us?

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Heidelberg Catechism - Lord's Day 23 - Justification


“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from…the Father.” James 1:17


Justification is at the heart of the Reformation. I don't think I have ever heard an explanation of the word Justification since attending at my current church. I have asked at bible studies and cell groups, "what is Justification?" And not a single person really answered the question. I sometimes wonder if adults aren't finding benefit from memorizing scripture, they at the very least need to understand what the Bible means by what it says. And catechisms can be helpful to teach anybody what the Bible says. We also need to understand what sets us apart from other religions out there. Especially those that have strayed from the faith and those that say they are a "Christian" denomination. To be declared righteous before God, because of what Christ has DONE for us. We should always remember the Solas of the Reformation.
Sola Gratia = Saved by Grace Alone
Sola Fide = Saved by Faith Alone
Solus Christos = Saved by Christ Alone
Sola Scriptura = Scripture Alone
Sola Deo Gloria = Glory to God Alone

We are Save by Grace, through Faith, on account of Christ Alone. We know this from Scripture Alone, and ALL THE GLORY GOES TO GOD...... ALONE!!!

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;Praise Him, all creatures here below;Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Grace and Peace,
Chris Allen
Coram Deo!!!
____________________________
59. What does it help you now, that you believe all this?
That I am righteous in Christ before God, and an heir of eternal life.1
1 Hab 2:4; Jn 3:36; Rom 1:17, 5:1-2, 8:16; Tit 3:7
60. How are you righteous before God?
Only by true faith in Jesus Christ:1 that is, although my conscience accuses me, that I have grievously sinned against all the commandments of God, and have never kept any of them,2 and am still prone always to all evil;3 yet God, without any merit of mine,4 of mere grace,5 grants and imputes to me the perfect satisfaction,6 righteousness, and holiness of Christ,7 as if I had never committed nor had any sins, and had myself accomplished all the obedience which Christ has fulfilled for me;8 if only I accept such benefit with a believing heart.9
1 Rom 3:21-28; Gal 2:16; Eph 2:8-9; Php 3:8-11; 2 Rom 3:9-10; 3 Rom 7:23; 4 Dt 9:6; Ezek 36:22; Tit 3:4-5; 5 Rom 3:24; Eph 2:8; 6 1 Jn 2:2; 7 Rom 4:3-5; 2 Cor 5:17-19; 1 Jn 2:1; 8 Rom 4:24-25; 2 Cor 5:21; 9 Jn 3:18; Acts 16:30-31; Rom 3:22, 28, 10:10
61. Why do you say that you are righteous by faith only?
Not that I am acceptable to God on account of the worthiness of my faith, but because only the satisfaction, righteousness and holiness of Christ is my righteousness before God;1 and I can receive the same and make it my own in no other way than by faith only.2
1 1 Cor 1:30-31, 2:2; 2 Isa 53:5; Rom 4:16, 10:10; Gal 3:22; 1 Jn 5:10-12

No comments: