Did our hearts not burn within us?

Did our hearts not burn within us?

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Heidelberg Catechism - Lord's Day 20

We don't often talk about the Holy Spirit specifically. In Mark 12 Jesus is talking about the Holy Spirit revealing to David that he will have a son (a distant son) who will be his Lord. This points to Christ as being 1) Fully Human and 2) Messiah being fully divine. We also see Jesus giving credibility to the scriptures (PS 110:1). We are blessed to have the Holy Spirit as our helper while we anticipate the Lord's return to judge the "quick and the dead" and to bring us to final glory.
I can see how the Holy Spirit helps me when I feel compeled to talk about concerns to leaders that may affect the flock of the church. The Holy Spirit has given me the calm attitude and the words to say that He has taught me and has guided me as I grow in the faith. I have also had the blessing of recently seeing the fruits of sharing my faith many years ago, only to recently find out that the young man has become a pastor and is desiring to start a new church. I would have to say that the Holy Spirit has done a marvelous thing in this old friend's life and I am greatful for having been a means by which he has come to faith and hopefull others as well.

Grace and peace,
Chris Allen
Coram Deo!!!

Whose Son Is the Christ?
Mark 12: 35(BH) And as(BI) Jesus taught in the temple, he said, "How can the scribes say that(BJ) the Christ is the son of David? 36David himself,(BK) in the Holy Spirit, declared, (BL) "'The Lord said to my Lord,Sit at my right hand, until I put your enemies(BM) under your feet.'
37David himself calls him Lord. So(BN) how is he his son?" And the great throng(BO) heard him gladly.
___________________
Of God the Holy Spirit and our Sanctification
Lord’s Day 20
53. What do you believe concerning the “Holy Spirit?”
First, that He is co-eternal God with the Father and the Son.[1] Second, that He is also given unto me:[2] by true faith makes me a partaker of Christ and all His benefits,[3] comforts me,[4] and shall abide with me forever.[5]
[1] Gen 1:1-2; Isa 48:16; Mt 28:19; Acts 5:3-4; 1 Cor 3:16, 6:19; [2] 1 Cor 6:19; 2 Cor 1:21-22; Gal 4:6; Eph 1:13; [3] 1 Cor 6:17; Gal 3:14; 1 Pt 1:2; [4] Jn 15:26; Acts 9:31; [5] Jn 14:16-17; Rom 15:13; 1 Pt 4:14; 1 Jn 4:13

No comments: