Did our hearts not burn within us?

Did our hearts not burn within us?

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Mighty Fortress is our God

Luther's Prayer at the Diet of Worms: (The prayer of Luther prior to the trial)
"My God, stand by me, against all world's wisdom, and reason...
Not mine but yours is the cause...
I would prefer to have peaceful days and to be out of this turmoil.
But yours, O Lord, is this cause; it is righteous and eternal.
Stand by me, you true Eternal God! In no man do I trust...
Stand by me, O God, in the name of your dear Son Jesus Christ,
who shall be my Defense and Shelter, yes, my Mighty Fortress,
though the might and strength of your Holy Spirit. Amen.
Luther's Response to their questions and a demands of an answer as to whether or not he will recant of the things he had written.
Since your Majesty and your Worships desire a simple reply, I will answer:
Unless I am convinced by the evidence of Scripture or by plain reason
-for I do not accept the authority of the pope or the councils alone,
since it is established that they have often erred and contradicted themselves-
I am bound by the Scriptures I have cited and my conscience is captive to the Word of God.
I cannot and will not recant anything,
for it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience.
I can do no other, here I stand. God Help me. Amen.

No comments: