Did our hearts not burn within us?

Did our hearts not burn within us?

Friday, February 10, 2006

The Beatitudes

Matthew 5

The Beatitudes
1 And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. 2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying:

3 “ Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

When we are regenerated (receive the Holy Spirit), we realize that we are sinners and how destitute and beggarly poor we are. We realize that we are dead in trespasses and we have absolutely no way to pay our debts. We are utterly bankrupt.

This is why we must continue to preach the Gospel instead of worrying about whether we are going to damage their self-esteem or whether they are going to like us. We often think that "If they like us, then their going to like our Jesus".


4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.

Then when we realize that we are destitute and dead in trespasses and nothing in ourselves to pay this debt we will mourn over our situation, and we will cry out for mercy. "Have mercy on me a sinner!"

Psalm 51

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

1 Have mercy upon me, O God,
According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.


And when we continue to preach the Gospel and Christ at the center, we as believers will continue to go to the Lord crying out for mercy, just like David did all throughout the Psalms, as we want to maintain that relationship and we always remember what God has saved us from His Holy wrath to begin with.

This is part of the sanctification process and this is what corrects us as believers, not scholding or cheerleading us to do better. We don't need "man-centered" books or classes for having "5 steps to a better this" and "40 days of whatever" to determine our purpose.

Grace and Peace

No comments: